“…receive him in the Lord with all joy, and honor such men…”
We have the opportunity as we begin our day today at LifePoint, to honor a man who I’ve had the privilege of calling “pastor, mentor, and friend” for the last few years.
Dr. James Swanson (“Pastor Jim”) has served as a member and Elder at LPC for over a decade. He’s moving back across the river to Portland soon to be closer to family and serve at a sister church of ours called Portland Christian Center. Here is a little history on Pastor Jim:
Before Moving to Vancouver
- Graduated from Eastern Bible College (which his dad founded) in 1948
- Shortly thereafter got married to Norma Swanson.
- Pastored for 15 years at Bethel Temple in Hayward, CA and built sanctuary and 3-story education unit.
- Pastored at PortlandChristianCenter for 15 years and current campus was built during his tenure.
- Pastored at PomonaLifeCenter in Southern California for 12 years.
- Served as Director of church relations and assistant to President Wayne Kraiss at VanguardUniversity for 6 years.
After Moving to Vancouver
Served in two major ministry positions:
- Director of Planned Giving for Calcutta Mercy Ministries (still serving in this position and has been with the ministry since 1949!).
- They have a 170-bed hospital and give out 20,000 meals/day.
- Director of the U.S. office of Asian Outreach (served in this position until 2009) – a ministry to the poor in the Pacific Rim Countries.
- Served as an elder at LifePoint and has preached and taught occasionally.
- Built the upstairs area of the LifePoint office wing (paid for through Asian Outreach).
Pastor Jim is moving to Portland to be close to family and to serve as Pastor Emeritus at his former church – Portland Christian Center. We are so blessed to know this man and to be counted among the fruit of his ministry!